Friday 22 October 2004

I need to get into the habit of being inspired to write and thanks to a former Prime Minister of New Zealand, I have. I visited publicaddress.net which is a collection of blogs, including Russel brown, a well known media commentator. THey have publicshed the transcript of David Lange's speech at Oxford aginst nuclear weapons which he devlivered in 1984. THis resulted in the distinct cooling of relations between New zealnd and the United states. It was inspirational.

I would be the first to admit that I am an irrational pacifist. I would rather be over run than fight. I guess this is because I have never experienced an occupation. However it seems to me that Lange is right. Threatening destruction upon others as a form of defence is no defence at all. My hope is that New Zealand will not forget its courageuos and independent past and will not give up the right to choose peace rather than aggression.

No comments:

Post a Comment