Here is a list of the ones flying round my head at the moment:
- become a child birth educator
- start selling card making equipment
- write more blogs and find ways of making them profitable
- set up a trust aimed at supporting teen mums getting an education
- start sewing
- stay home more and make house
- do a Masters in Applied Social Work
- start scrapbooking
- get more involved at church
- read more
- stop working and go to playcentre
- work more and do more at work
- set up a community garden
- have another child
- move to the country so that I am at home and can't do all of the above and have a more simple life.
- achieve world peace, end poverty, solve the climate change crisis...
As you can see there is a lot going on in my head and a lot of it is contradictory. I imagine there are other Mums out there who have similar battles between their reality and what they would like to do. But I wonder whether for me these ideas are partly about not dealing with my reality. If I keep coming up with new things to do I don't have to just be in my life. Instead I am always in a state of discontent thinking up the next thing I want to do, but never actually do. Or maybe it is because I haven't developed an integrated sense of who I am? But what does that mean anyway? Or is it just the fact that women today have so much apparent choice that it almost creates the sense that you should do more, choose more and be more.
Maybe that is it. Maybe the question is whether I am enough without doing more? Just the way I am now. Am I acceptable and okay as I am, without any of the above? And therefore does my identity just come from what I do? What does that say about how I view others? Am I judging others who I think "should" do more? And have I turned this on myself?
Okay enough questions. I hate blog posts that just have lists of questions but as no clarity has been forth coming I will have to leave it at that. But I really would love to hear from other women who wrestle with these questions. Have you made any peace with this?
P.S just discovered the one of our kittens peed on our bed and it has gone through our woollen duvets, sheets and into the mattress. These things put my navel gazing into perspective.