Thursday 20 May 2004

This morning I read a bit in Genesis where Jacob gave up his birth right in return for some dinner. The point made in the devotional was that Jacob was prepared to give up something which was valuable in the long term for immediate gratification now. I identify with Jacob. It is so hard to ignore your immediate feelings and struggles for bigger but seemingly urgent priorities.

For example when I feel tired it is difficult to avoid the chocolate even though I know it will ruin my appetite for dinner. Another example many people relate to is the decision to get a radical haircut while going through a personal crisis. Been there, done that. Pink hair! Won't do that again!

The devotion discouraged making decisions out of lack, loneliness, boredom or frustration. I don't know about that. I don't think decisions should be rushed at those times but sometimes they are the times where you have to really work out what you want and are pushed on to new things, new challenges and exciting new possibilities. I guess the most important part is being honest with yourself about your motivations. Are you escaping or moving forward?

I am looking forward to some more big changes in my life and I know they will be positive and really grow me. Yes, boredom and frustration have triggered this decision but the decision about where to go to from here came from hope and excitement about the future. I am just not prepared to spend time going no-where or backwards but I have a funny feeling that patience will need to be the next virtue I work on!

No comments:

Post a Comment